Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Maverick


Around 6 years ago or so, I went with my mother to meet a woman in a grocery store parking lot. Puppy, advertised relatively cheaply. We were hesitant, it was a little expensive. But as this dog popped his little puppy head over the womans shoulder I knew instantly my mother would get the dog. We think he was abused before we got him. He was always a little weird. He had major separation anxiety. He broke a screen on a window when we were gone and was sitting on our grass when we got home. He went through 2...I think only 2, door frames into the garage. He was mean sometimes, he got bit by the neighbor child and then got a little more aggressive. We'd been working on that. He was a douche sometimes. But he was also my protector. When I had my surgery he curled up with me all the time and made sure no one bumped me. When my brother and I play fought he would jump at my brother and keep me safe. He was my baby. We would sleep next to each other all the time and he snored like a person. When he got hurt two days ago, I never imagined the result would be that we had to put him down this morning. But the surgery, not only super expensive, was not a guaranteed fix. And it would take 3 months of 24 hour care, which we just cannot do right now. I miss him so much right now, and I hope to God that he is happy in Heaven right now, wagging his tail down at us. I love you Maverick.

-Newt

No comments:

Post a Comment